Thursday, August 19, 2010

Sending Positive Vibes

Chemo treatment number two has been successfully completed at this point, but unfortunately the patient is not doing as well this time around.  The "wonder" nausea drugs don't seem to be working as amazingly as they were before.  Hopefully her fatigue and nausea will only last 24-48 hours this time.  I've NEVER been able to handle my mom being sick-- even with a cold. Clearly, this only got worse after my dad got sick and died but you can add that statement after just about everything in my life.

Again, I believe the reason I hate seeing mom sick is another only child characteristic.  Being an only child,  your mom is your world.  She's your rock for everything.  My mom is my best friend and knows 100% of anything that goes in my life (of course I edit those things that I don't think she wants to know...sometimes).  I don't think it's a mother daughter thing either.... I know this holds true for male only children-- based on experience. When there's only you, you are the only thing your mother lives and breathes for.  There is nothing else.  Her life revolves around you.  Clearly, all mothers are like that with their children but it's not the same when you have only one to focus on....  it just isn't.  I'm a mom to an only child and I can see myself developing these same feelings.

It's difficult to see her like this and makes me wonder what is going to happen in the up coming weeks.  Is she going to get weaker?  Probably.  I don't mean to paint a picture of a gaunt, pale woman who can barely move.  To look at her, you wouldn't know she was sick.  She looks awesome-- much better than I do right now. So,  I continue to pretend to remain positive around her.

Since I mentioned it, let's talk about this "positive attitude" bullshit.  Yes, I agree that my mom and the rest of us need to stay positive because a positive attitude is what helps beat this horrific, miserable disease.  I'm not a positive person.  It's not a big secret but I can't change who I am after 35 years.  I have seriously repressed emotion and memories from my dad's illness but as I've mentioned before, I was POSITIVE he wasn't going to die and we were going to add his name to the list of Cancer survivors.  That didn't really work out too well for me the first time around so it's hard to rally.  Part of the problem with my dad was he thought he was going to die.  I don't recall him ever being positive about beating this disease.  Overall, dad wasn't a glass is half full kind of guy-- clearly, I'm my father's daughter.

He was a fighter-- and tried hard to beat it but the Cancer was too far advanced that now I begin to think his fight was never going to be strong enough to beat the speed of how quickly the tumors grew and spread.  Mom is a fighter too and her attitude is better than dad's was (and mine).

I think last night it just hit me hard for some reason--- and I realized that I am pretty much hanging off a ledge.  I've worn myself down already from stress and worrying...  literally to the point where I don't want to get out of bed in the morning.  My saving grace? My daughter.  I know that someone is depending on me now to take care of them so I force myself out of my bed and I face the day with a smile....  until I get to work or go run errands or pretty much any time I'm alone.  Then I zone out.

I can't say that I've been curled up in the fetal position crying, but I sit with a blank stare.  I literally think my brain is too full with noise to think.  In typical only child fashion, I've taken my mom's illness and brought it back to me. It's selfish of me to be sitting here complaining about how sad and tired I am when I'm not the one fighting.  It is my worst trait but I have perfected hiding it.  I think?

No comments:

Post a Comment