Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Glimpse into a Dream Job

I'm writing a great deal about depressing shit but there has been something exciting that's recently happened (and about to happen which I will blog about at a later date).  Not sure when it happened, but I think that I was about 22 years old, when I thought DB and I were going to get married, that I became obsessed with weddings.  Not actually getting married but having the most unique wedding down the very teeny details.  I'll admit, I bought bridal magazines when I was single just to see the trends in dresses and what was being over done at receptions.

Then came my moment to shine.  My husband proposed and although some may disagree, I was not "bridezilla" but rather detail oriented.  There was not one piece of my wedding that didn't have a special connection to us as a couple or each of separately.  Luckily my husband trusted my judgment since he had such a hard time picturing my vision but in the end, I have no complaints.  Granted, I chose the best vendors around.  Flowers and photography were number one after venue and in my opinion, I chose the best of the best.  And beyond.  The day came and went but my obsession continued to linger..... 

The stars pretty much aligned for me and I was able to maintain a great friendship with my photographer and as for flowers, I refuse to use anyone else.  These relationships have paid off in a way I never dreamt was possible.  A few weekends back, I was able to actually attend NYC Bridal Fashion Week.  OK, so some people have never heard of it but to me, I'd rather be there than watch some whacked out Marc Jacobs fashion show in a tent at Bryant Park.

For a brief two hours, I was able to pretend that I didn't have a boring desk job but that I was a wedding planner.  Not just a wedding planner, but THE wedding planner.  I attended only a few shows but they happened to showcase the designer who designed my gown, Amsale.  I may not have had a front row...  or even a second row for that matter.  Okay, truth be told, I was the asshole standing in the back BUT I saw Martha Stewart's team.  So it made it all worth it.

Each fashion show happens so fast that if you even blink you'll miss something.....  But the rush of when the lights go down, the spotlights blare and the music blasts is incredible.  I had chills everywhere and then the brides starting strutting down the runway....  Looking wispy and romantic.....Covered in satin, tulle, delicate beading.....  ranging in colors of stark white to champagne....  And as I'm watching this, I'm picturing the wedding where the brides would be wearing them.  The flowers they would carry.... As a side note, until you've seen a real model, no one has any business calling me skinny.  These girls looked like heroine addicts covered in make up.  That aside.... the beauty of the dresses outweighed the scariness of their bodies.

It was an experience on my bucket list that I can cross off and maybe someday I will be the wedding planner I dream of.....  Although my patience is thin, to say the least, I think I can handle brides. I felt important being there--- in a weird twisted sort of way.  There were definitely the wedding elite in attendance but there were also people who clearly didnt' belong there.  I made sure to carry my Chanel to look important.  I even used my iPhone to take pictures. 

The opportunity may never present itself again but it brought me a great deal of happiness.  It's an experience that will stay with me forever.  Unfortunately, for my husband, the simple Vegas vow renewal we were planning has turned into another way hone my skills and let my creativity go wild.  Not sure how I'm going to break THAT news to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment