Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Cruise 2011: pre-cruise

Since August 2010, I have been counting down the days to this moment. The moment where I board a plane to Ft. Lauderdale, on my way to spend 5 days on the open seas with Danny, Donnie, Jordan, Joe and Jon.  Yeah, that's right -- The New Kids on the Block. I even had an app on my iPhone which counted down the months, day, hours, minutes and seconds until the cruise. Come on, clearly, I am not going to miss an opportunity where Donnie would be stranded on a boat in the middle of the Atlantic with me.  There are so many moments to share and they won't fit in one blog.  I'll try not to turn this into the "Twilight" saga---- but no promises.

Bright and early Wednesday morning, girl friend #1 (we'll call her GF#1) boarded a plane to Ft. Lauderdale.  We were leaving cold temperatures to go to beautiful Miami.  My carry on was packed with the essentials: iPad, passport and xanax.  I was ready to go.  Hell, I was ready to go in January.  So GF#1 and I boarded the plane to our "Destiny." Mission Get Donnie Wahlberg in my cabin was in effect (later it would be used as door them to lure him in......)

We arrive in Miami to the news the hotel had "taken the liberty" of upgrading us to a suite.  Although the room was not ready, we were free to sit by the pool.  She and I barely were in the elevator before we started pulling out our bathing suits.  Sitting by the pool, we awaited for the third musketeer to arrive (we'll call her GF#2).  I couldn't believe I was finally here and I soaked up the sun feeling happier than I had in months.  GF#2 eventually arrived and our room was available..... We dropped our bags off and ran back to the pool.  The sun had moved so we found new lounge chairs.  As we sat there sipping mojitos and snacking on hummus, GF#2 turns to GF#1 and I only to say, "Um, is that Jordan Knight?"  #1 and I turned to look, then looked at each other, then looked again only to say "Oh My God." Well, the texting, tweeting and facebooking began.

I brilliantly decided that we should send over a cocktail on us in lieu of running across the roof top pool and screaming to get his attention.  Moments later, I look up again, turn to GF#2 and say, "Ah, Jon Knight is there too."  #2 froze---  He is HER favorite.  I give her credit--- she maintained composure and we sent him a drink as well. Obviously, if this was Donnie, I would have done the running and screaming part but that's just me.  The three of us sat, pretending to read and not notice the boys were still there yet we were all breathlessly anticipating for one of them to come over and thank us.

Finally, our moment had arrived.  Jordan Knight came over, sat down and chatted with us for a good half hour.  I was able to talk to him as though he wasn't Jordan Knight but just a really hot guy at a pool.  To be honest, it wasn't the first time any of us had met him but it was the first time we spent any quality sober time with him.  GF#2 and I have maintained the belief that Jordan was the douche in the group.  I am happy to say, that perception is destroyed.  He was as sweet as he was shy.  When we asked (ahem, I ASKED) to take pictures, he was more than gracious about it.  Before he walked away, he gave us all hugs and told us to have a blast on the cruise.  Sadly, Jon never came over to say thank you.  His mother surely raised him better but I love Jon too so I can't say anything bad.

We continued on this high for a few hours over cocktails and dinner only to rush to our room like 6 year old little girls on Christmas Eve awaiting Santa's arrival.  We just couldn't get to sleep fast enough and have Day 1 arrive. We also knew it was going to be the ONLY good night's sleep we'd get.  So there we were all snuggled in our beds with visions of New Kids dancing in our heads...... not knowing what would lie ahead on The Destiny.

No comments:

Post a Comment